Headingley Hill 3

The place now known as the Headingley Campus of Leeds Beckett University has a long history.  New Grange was a farm built by the monks of Kirkstall Abbey in the middle ages.  After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the farm was remodelled in the 17th and 18th centuries, and was eventually bought by the Beckett family in 1834.  They rebuilt it and renamed it Kirkstall Grange.  The Grange was bought by Leeds Corporation in 1910, as the site of a Teacher Training College, opened in 1913.  During the First World War, the College was used as a military hospital.  In due course, the College was merged with other colleges to form Leeds Polytechnic, and became its Headingley Campus.  The institution became Leeds Metropolitan University in 1992, and in 2014, was re-titled Leeds Beckett University.
For further information on the campus, contact Keith Rowntree, Archive and Special Collections, Libraries and Learning Innovation, Leeds Beckett University, Headingley Campus, Leeds LS6 3HF, email K.Rowntree@leedsbeckett.ac.uk

Photographs by kind permission of:
Archive and Special Collections, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Library and Information Service
Pat Belford
Helen Pickering

Some photographs are subject to copyright and should not be reproduced without the owner's permission.
Every effort has been made to trace and contact all copyright holders. We would be pleased to rectify at the earliest opportunity any omissions or errors brought to our notice.